Toowong Cemetery

Toowong Cemetery

Toowong Cemetery

The Toowong Cemetery was originally known as the Brisbane General Cemetery. It was started in 1866 and formally opened in 1875, and is Queensland’s largest cemetery, and is also noted as a historic cemetery.

It is placed on 437,300 square metres of land near the Toowong Roundabout that is adjacent to the Centenary Highway.

Grave Location Search: A grave location search is available by Brisbane City Council here.

Toowong Cemetery replaced Brisbane’s first cemetery which was located near Skew Street in the centre of Brisbane. The cemetery contains a sign posted walk that provides information on various people buried therein.

In 1861 200 acres of land was set aside for a new cemetery at Toowong. In 1870 a Cemetery Trust was established with trustees James Cowlishaw, John Hardgrave, William Pettigrew, Samuel Walker Griffith, George Edmonstone, Alexander Raff, John Petrie (Chairman), Michael Quinlan and Nathaniel Lade the trustees to search for alternative sites as the Toowong site was considered by some as inappropriate. Colonel Samuel Blackall, Queensland’s second Governor, had been a supporter of the Toowong site and in his ill health indicated his desire to be buried there — this was done when he was buried on the highest knoll on 3 January 1871.

Toowong Cemetery entrance near Toowong Roundabout

Toowong Cemetery entrance near Toowong Roundabout

Even though Blackall had been buried, the search for an alternate site continued. The search was unsuccessful however and the Toowong site was eventually was accepted as the final location. Six more burials were performed before the official opening of the Cemetery in 1875.

In April 1975 the Cemetery was full with all plots having been sold.  The Cemetery was closed to new burials except for family graves.

Toowong Cemetery Grave Cross

Toowong Cemetery Grave Cross

The Brisbane City Council started a project to remove hundreds of worn, forgotten headstones in the three major city cemeteries. Old, neglected monuments were removed from Toowong, Lutwyche and South Brisbane cemeteries and trees and shrubs planted. The long term aim of the scheme was to return the cemeteries to open space with a parkland atmosphere. It is thought approximately 1,000 memorials were removed from Toowong.

The Cemetery was reopened in 1998 with approximately 450 plots available for sale.

Currently, the Cemetery is a popular place for joggers and dog walkers, with its over-hanging fig trees and winding pathways. It has also earned a reputation for being haunted. Brisbane Ghost Tours conduct regular guided tours through the grounds of the cemetery on Saturday nights.

Toowong Cemetry Headstones

Toowong Cemetry Headstones

Article courtesy Wikipedia.