Toowong Village

“Bye Bye” Retailers: Our Favourite Shops Leave T.V.

Renovations have started on the $50 M Toowong Village Transformation, which commenced in January. However the reno’s have meant a number of our favourite and useful shops have had to close their doors – and not just temporarily.

Amongst the businesses that are reportedly not coming back are:

  • Toowong Jewellers
  • Toowong Post Office
  • Diva
  • Robins Kitchen
  • Rebecca’s Lingerie
  • Liz Davenport

Other shops on the eastern side are closed during the renovations and will be open afterwards, including Wallace Bishop.

Shops that remain open are Fruity Capers, Coles, K-mart, Terry White Chemists, Zarraffas, Telstra, Vodafone, Optus, Conner, Cue, Stefan, Sports Girl, DJ’s, Daisy’s Florist, Ella Bache, Toowong Library, S&S Hair and Beauty, Pillow Talk, Persian Bazar, OPSM, BWS, Mister Minit, EB Games, Happy Foot Massage, Zombster, Sizzler and others.

All the shops in the food court appear to be open, although around one third of the seating area has been closed off due to the site works, so it can be a bit tricky finding a seat at lunch time.

The toilets near Terry White Chemist are closed during renovations, with the only other set of toilets on the ground level at the back of the food court.

Various ATM’s including one from Suncorp and Bank of Qld have been shut down, or are not reliably available at this time.

There are apparently 10.6 Million annual shoppers at the Village, and with the renovations it “is expected to become a high-end shopping hub.”

The Facebook hashtag for news updates and the like is #yourvillageistransforming, although it appears that the only thing that they are reporting is the number of car parking spaces available on the upper level. “There are currently 114 car park spaces available on the upper levels.” Updates are occasionally posted on the Facebook webpage.

Share This Post

Toowong Village

Toowong Village was opened in 1986 with an office tower and shopping centre. It is situated in Toowong on the crossroads between Coronation Drive, High Street and Sherwood Road. The shopping centre includes 86 specialty stores over an area of approximately 31,000 square metres.

The building is renowned for it’s blue glass office tower – which forms a prominent landmark visible from Toowong and surrounding suburbs. Toowong Village has 10 undercover car parking levels with over 1,600 car parks.

Hours: Seven days a week between the following times:

* Weekdays – 8am – 10pm.
* Saturday – basement car park 8am – 6pm. Multi-deck 8am – 11pm.
* Sunday – basement car park 9am – 6pm. Multi-deck 9am – 10pm.

Parking: There is a 4 hour parking limit at Toowong Village.

Address: Cnr High St and Sherwood Rd, Toowong, Qld, 4066

Phone: (07) 3870 7177

Website: Link. (opens in new window)

Location Map: Google Map (opens in new window)

Aerial View: Photographic view of Toowong Village. (opens in new window)

Special Services: Justice of the Peace available on Tuesday and Thursday, 10am -12.30pm on the Gallery level.

History:

The previous site was a sawmill that was operated earlier during the 1900’s. More recently the shopping center was built over the existing Toowong Railway station. Prior to build, there was controversy over its development – the Queensland Government ruled over the Brisbane town planners to permit the construction of Toowong Village. Until then the Brisbane City Council had refused construction because of traffic concerns that would offshoot into surrounding streets.

The shopping centre includes the Toowong Post Office, the Brisbane City Council Library, photocopying facilities and medical centre.

Inside Toowong Village are four sets of travelators and a (very slow) lift. The travelators enable you to take shopping trolleys to different floors of the building without using the lift.

The exit to the Toowong Railway Station is also located from the Gallery level of Toowong Village, near Sizzler.

Share This Post

Attractions Around Toowong, Qld, 4066, Australia

The Brisbane General Cemetery (Toowong Cemetery), started in 1866 and formally opened in 1875, is Queensland’s largest cemetery, placed on 437,300 square metres of land. It replaced Brisbane’s first cemetery which was located near Skew Street in the centre of Brisbane. The cemetery contains a sign posted walk that provides information on various people buried therein.

Brisbane Boys’ College (also known as BBC) is a day boarding school established in Clayfield in 1901. In the late twenties it was decided that there were insufficient facilities at the Clayfield location, and the school was moved to Toowong on Kensington Terrace.

Toowong has two main drinking establishments, the Regatta Hotel and the Royal Exchange Hotel, both of which are historic hotels. The three storey Regatta hotel contained accommodation on the upper two floors and a public bar and lounge area on the ground floor. In 1965 a protest took place in the public bar of the Regatta Hotel when Merle Thornton (mother of Australian actress Sigrid Thornton) and another woman chained themselves to the bar in protest of public bars in Queensland being restricted to men only.
The Royal Exchange Hotel

Built in 1986, Toowong Village is an office tower and shopping centre situated at the centre of Toowong. The blue glass office tower is a prominent landmark visible from Toowong and surrounding suburbs. The shopping centre situated on the lower levels of the office tower contains the Toowong Railway Station, Brisbane City Library and the standard mix of retail stores.

Located on Sylvan Road, Toowong Memorial Park is a large park with gum trees, football ovals and a commanding view of the suburb. It was officially opened in 1918 in honour of those who enlisted from the Town of Toowong during the World War I. The park contains the Soldiers’ Memorial on top of the hill was dedicated in 1922 and an RSL memorial is located near the Memorial gates on Sylvan Road, and also contains the Western Districts Rugby Football Club and a Basketball centre. Anzac Park is located next to the Western Freeway opposite the Toowong Cemetery. Originally the land was part of the cemetery grounds, but was converted to a rifle range in 1877. At the end of World War I the trees were planted in memory of the men from Toowong. The park land was proposed as a site for the Botanic Gardens, but the construction of the Western Freeway forced the move of the proposed site to its current location closer to Mount Coot-tha. The Mount Coot-tha Botanic Gardens and the Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium are located at the base of Mount Coot-tha.

The Toowong pool was a 25 yard (23 metres) pool with timber grandstands and dressing sheds, originally built in the 1920s. The facilities were reconstructed and re-opened in 1959, to commemorate Queensland’s centenary. These later works were designed by James Birrell, Brisbane City Chief Architect. The pool was demolished in 2003, with development of apartments on the site planned and due to start development in the near future.

The original Toowong Municipal Library was built 1961 on Coronation Drive opposite the Toowong pool, and was the district library for the western suburbs. The library was also designed by Brisbane City Chief Architect James Birell, and is one of the few remaining examples of his work. The library is now used as commercial premises. The building comprises a two storey library surrounded by trees and landscaped terraces, with cavity brick lower floor, the structure is formed by three intersecting circles. Above this base floor is a ‘floating’ crystalline form with 12 sided polygon (dodecagon) floor plan whose external walls taper outward as they rise and which houses the principal public floor of the library. The external steel wall framing of the upper floor is diagonally braced, and sheeted with plywood panels set within the structural framing and framed with silky oak beading. The library originally had a hemi-spherical skylight above its centre, which has now been replaced by an enclosure for mechanical equipment.

The library was threatened for closure in 1982 following the opening of a new municipal library at Indooroopilly in 1981. The Toowong Library did in fact close but local residents’ action saw it re-opened in 1983. Alterations were made to the building in 1983 when one of the rooms on the lower floor was acquired for use by the local councillor as a ward office, until 2005. Despite a campaign by local residents to prevent the closure of the library and redevelopment of the library and adjoining swimming pool site, the library was moved to Toowong Village shopping centre in March 2001, and the original building, which is protected by Heritage listing, is now business premises.

The workshops and a bus depot of Brisbane Transport is located at the western end of the suburb.

Article courtesy of Wikipedia.

Share This Post